This may surprise you, but research has shown that doing abdominal exercises alone, even when performed five days a week for six weeks, has no effect at all on subcutaneous fat stores and abdominal circumference. Jennifer Cohen suggests in Forbes Magazine, that it is more efficient to use strategies that burn up cortisol, the hormone that depletes lean muscle and holds on to fat in the abdominal region.
HOW TO REDUCE CORTISOL LEVELS?
- Reduce stress in your life, because stress causes cortisol levels to spike
- Get enough sleep
- Reduce sugar intake in your body
- Increase your vitamin C intake
- Consume omega 3 fats from salmon, avocado and walnuts
- Practice short bursts of exercise (high-intensity interval training)
STRATEGY FOR REDUCING BELLY FAT
You should eat healthy protein, healthy fats, and healthy carbs. Just be sure to follow these simple rules:
- Incorporate two or three of these foods into each of your meals and at least one of them into each snack.
- Diversify your food at every meal to get a combination of protein, carbohydrates, and fat.
- Sneak a little protein into each snack.
The Abs Diet revolves around a dozen delicious, convenient foods called the Abs Diet Powerfoods. All you need to do is eat the acronym: Almonds and other nuts, Beans and other legumes, Spinach and other green vegetables, Dairy (low-fat), Instant oatmeal, Eggs, Turkey and other lean meats, Peanut butter, Olive oil, Whole-grain breads and cereals, Extra-protein (whey) powder, Raspberries and other berries.
A – Almonds and other nuts (with skins intact)
* Builds muscle, reduces cravings
* Fights Obesity, heart disease, muscle loss, wrinkles, cancer, high blood pressure
B – Beans and legumes
* Builds muscle, helps burn fat, regulates digestion
* Fights Obesity, colon cancer, heart disease, high blood pressure
S – Spinach and other green vegetables
*Neutralizes free radicals, molecules that accelerate the aging process
* Fights Cancer, heart disease, stroke, obesity, osteoporosis
D – Dairy products (fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese)
*Builds strong bones, fires up weight loss
* Fights Osteoporosis, obesity, high blood pressure, cancer
I – Instant oatmeal (unsweetened, unflavored)
*Boosts energy, reduces cholesterol, maintains blood sugar levels
* Fights Heart disease, diabetes, colon cancer, obesity
E – Eggs
*Builds muscle, burns fat
* Fights Obesity
T – Turkey and other lean meats
*Builds muscle, strengthens immune system
* Fights Obesity, various diseases