Avocado is known from ancient times. It is believed that people from Puebla, Mexico used to consume avocado back to around 10,000 BC. Maybe you didn’t know that from the botanic point of view avocado is a large berry that grows on a tree that can reach 6 feet tall and it is included in the same family as camphor and cinnamon. But what you know for sure is that eating avocado keeps us healthy, because it contains a lot of vitamins and minerals.
We may mention just some of them: vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B9, C, E, K and calcium, iron, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, sodium, zinc. Avocado also contains an antioxidant called glutathione. Researchers from the Federation of American Society for Experimental Biology have found that glutathione in avocados can be easily absorbed into our mitochondria and then neutralize the free radicals.
Interesting information about avocado:
- An avocado is richer in potassium than a banana. A banana contains 10% potassium while an avocado have 14% potassium.
- Consuming avocados helps the body to absorb five times the amount of carotenoids (lycopene and beta carotene).
- Avocados have 23% folate which helps in keeping your heart healthy. Eating avocado lowers incidences of heart disease and reduces the risk of having a stroke. Vitamin E, monounsaturated fats and glutathione are also beneficial for the heart.
- Folate also helps in preventing the birth defects such as spina bifida and neural tube defect.
- The high content of fiber give us the feeling that we have eaten enough after consuming an avocado, being a good choice when we want to lose weight. Fiber also helps metabolic health and steadies blood sugar.
- Avocados is the richest fruit in carotenoid lutein, which protects the body against macular degeneration and cataracts.
- Eating avocado lowers bad cholesterol by 22%, raises good cholesterol by 11% and lowers blood triglycerides by 20%, because this fruit contains high quantities if beta-sitosterol.
- Containing glutathione, consuming avocado regularly prevents heart disease, cancer and reduces the signs of aging. Glutathione also fights free radicals.
- As it also contains oleic acid, avocado prevents breast cancer, inhibits tumor growth in prostate cancer and seeks out precancerous and oral cancer cells and destroys them.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of this fruit are given nu pholyphenols and flavonoids contained by avocado.
- Avocados helps digestion as they cleanse the intestines.
- Avocado extract paired with soybean oil can help is fighting arthritis.
- It is very useful for the skin problems: avocado oil nourishes the skin and may be used in treating psoriasis and other skin issues.