Thinking is one of the most noble human preoccupations, it is something that defines us as human beings. Our mind seems to never want to stop thinking. Did you ask yourself if this is always a good thing? “We are dying from overthinking. We are slowly killing ourselves by thinking about everything”, said Anthony Hopkins. Was the actor right? According to psychology professor Susan Nolen-Hoeksema of the University of Michigan, overthinking occurs mostly in young and middle aged adults, with 73% of 25-35 year-olds identifying as overthinkers. There are also more women (57%) than men (43%) who tend to think too much. Experts consider that if you allow your brain to continuously run, it will finally press on with the madness until you discover that your mind has slowly become a prison. In other words, it is important to quiet your mind, instead of distracting it. This will allow you to have more mental clarity, focus, and give up the toxic habit of overthinking. Here are 11 quotes that you should remember when you are overthinking:
- You will become free only when you free yourself from the prison of your own false thoughts.
- Listen, before you talk. Think, before you react. Wait, before you criticize. Forgive, before you pray. Try, before you quit!
- Don’t worry about what can go wrong, and get excited about what can go right.
- Overthinking is the art of creating problems that weren’t even there.
- Nothing in this world can trouble you as much as your own thoughts.
- Worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair. It gives you something to do but it doesn’t get you anywhere.
- Quit overthinking! You can’t control everything, just let it be.
- Dear mind, I need sleep! Please stop thinking so much at night.
- Overthinking is the main cause of unhappiness.
- Don’t ruin a new day by thinking about yesterday. Let it go!
- A quiet mind is able to hear intuition instead of fear.
3 WAYS TO STOP OVERTHINKING:
- GET TIME TO GET OUT IN NATURE
ake a habit from spending some time in nature. You can have your lunch break in a nearby park, or going on a vacation to get away. Your mind will stop overthinking immediately and you will notice that you will think more clearly throughout the rest of the day.
- SAY SOME PEACEFUL WORDS TO YOURSELF
Notice your thoughts and knowledge what you observe. Most probably, the majority of your thoughts are about what you have to do during the day or what people said about you. There might be a lot of negative thoughts about yourself. You can counter the negative words and over thinking with the repetition of peaceful words. When you feel anxiety or worry coming on, stop those thoughts in their track as soon as you realize it with calming words: Peace. Love. Light. It’s ok. Life is Good. I’m ok.
- START TO MEDITATE
When you meditate, you stop the flow of overthinking and negative thoughts bombarding your consciousness every second. You will feel that your thoughts slow down and overthinking stop immediately.